Aug 10, 2010

Country Cookin'


Last week, the ladies of the family (Grandma, Mom, Sarah, Carson and me) gathered to experience and learn some country cooking from my Grandma.  She taught us how to make mayhaw jelly (John's favorite) and her homemade, from-scratch buttermilk biscuits.  Here's our day in pictures...

Our Supplies :)

Boiling the Mayhaws
Aren't they pretty?!

Honey Snatching Sugars While Waiting for the Mayhaws
(Sidenote to Explain Why Carson Has NO Clothes ON!...She threw up on the way to Hemphill.  Like an idiot, I decided not to bring an extra pair of clothes that day since, "We can just wash her clothes at Mom's if something happens."  Duh!  The poor child was clothes-less for the first hour of our day in Hemphill!  Didn't win my Mommy Blue Ribbon for Preparedness this day!)


Sweet Mama Hugs :)

Jelly is Ready!!!  Quick...get them in the jars!

Our culinary instructor...taking a break to read Carson a book.

Mayhaw Juice
(Okay...So I have these pics out of order.  It's after midnight...I think they'll work just fine out of order.  LOL!)

Cross your fingers!  Will they seal???

They left us unsupervised for the lidding of the jars.  Uh oh...

On to biscuit making.  Turns out...Sarah was just in this to get a bite of biscuit dough.  :-P

Patting out my biscuit until it "feels like a biscuit" (in the words of Grandma).
Notice the cleanliness of the counter and my shirt...I'm a clean worker.  Sarah, on the other hand.............

...................clearly is not. :)

I just LOVE this picture of Grandma (aka "Honey" if your name is Carson Brooke!) looking on at us.  Precious and priceless.

Yummy Biscuit Dough!

Finished Product!!!
Not sure why they turned out kind of long and skinny...Perhaps we don't have that Grandma Touch.

Mmmmm....mmm!  Hot and homemade buttermilk biscuits, freshly jarred mayhaw jelly & fresh figs.

Sweet Moments

What a treasure of a day!  Grandma enjoyed teaching us (and laughing at the way we do things!) and we enjoyed learning and spending time with her and our Mom.  Love those memory making days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realy enjoyed this post Lindsey! Aunt Dixie needs a computer so she can enjoy posts like this! GREAT JOB!

Paula

Lindsey said...

Thanks Paula! As you can well imagine, we had a fun day and laughed a LOT. Haha! Grandma is a hoot and a half. I'm reading a book series right now that has a silly grandma that has wild hairs about things a lot and it so reminds me of Grandma! Haha!

I agree about getting her computer literate. It's really funny...we were taking pics this day and I overheard her tell Sarah, "That picture better not end up on Facebook!" I laughed SO HARD!

Love you!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Photoblog Design by Delicious Design Studio